News and Notes
I haven’t had the chance to put together a decent post in a while, but I am working on a fairly in-depth report on possible closer candidates. Here are some of the biggest stories lately.
- The Twins have signed Nick Blackburn to a 4 year, $14 million contract. There is also a $8 million team option for 2014.
- On that same day the Twins also signed the rest of the players on the 4o man roster to contracts.
- The Official Hot Dog of the Twins that will be served at Target Field is Schweigert meats. There will be four different Schweigert hot dogs served throughout the ballpark.
- Single game tickets went on sale today. Interestingly enough, you cannot purchase tickets to the home opener without a season ticket plan. Tickets are expected to sell out for the entire season sometime today. Last I checked, there were still seats available. (I checked for 2 tickets to the Friday night, July 30th game against the Mariners, and I could get 2 tickets in row 28 of section 110, which are seats looking right down the 1st base line, in the lower level.)
- Joe Nathan has torn his Ulnar Collateral Ligament (UCL) and is likely to require Tommy John surgery. Nathan and the Twins plan to wait 2 weeks and see how he feels. This injury is not a wait-and-see injury, so I am clueless to what advantage this will create.
- Denard Span has signed a 5 year, $16.5 million contract with a $9 million option for 2015.